Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Part 2 - Bollywood movies in 2012 that made me think

You can read Part I of the series here. Without any further delay, let's move onto the next 4 movies that made me think.


5. Barfi! -
When the official trailer was released, I was hooked! Anurag Basu tried his hand at a love story that goes beyond language.. and failed (Read: Kites). This time he went a step further and directed a love story that goes beyond words.. and succeeded! I am not that big a fan of Bollywood love stories, but this movie was different. Ranbir Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra were amazing in the movie. Barfi! was selected as India's entry to the Oscars (I have my apprehensions about it) and lost in the first round. There were criticisms that the movie has been copied from various Hollywood movies. Honestly, it doesn't matter to me at all. I won't mind watching the movie all over again.. and again..

6. OMG: Oh My God -
A very very bold topic. Atleast in India. You don't mess with the religious sentiments in India. Period. If you tread that path, forget about the movie - your own existence will be in jeopardy. A certain Paresh Rawal decided to make that bold step.. and succeeded. The film starts with due credits to the Gujarati play and the 2001 Australian movie (The man who sued God). The movie had its moments criticizing the God-men of our country and taking a totally different angle to solve the case with the Insurance company. Akshay Kumar plays the role of Shri Krishna and makes an impact as the side hero. The movie belongs totally to Paresh Rawal. The dialogues and the debates in the court-room are all class apart.

7. English Vinglish -
Sridevi's comeback movie. And what a comeback. I remember watching her movies when I was a little boy and used to compare her with Madhuri Dixit. This is the story of an Indian home-maker who is ill-treated by her own family as she cannot speak English (sounds familiar?). Situation lead her to US and she then decides to join an English learning course. Her speech in the climax was worth every penny spent on the movie! Welcome back Sridevi, today's actresses still need to learn a lot from you!

8. Talaash -
I think they didn't mention this to be a super-natural thriller anywhere in the promos (or maybe I might have missed it). But the story came as a surprise to me. I watched the movie solely for Aamir Khan. If he has selected to act in this movie, it better be good. Now, you might not agree with me on this, but I genuinely liked the movie. I can understand that the super-natural aspect was a letdown to most. Loved Rani Mukerji in a non glamorous role. Loved Kareena Kapoor in a glam role too. I also enjoyed the way all the dots were connected in the climax.

Notable Omissions
1. Gangs of Wasseypur
2. Gangs of Wasseypur II
3. Ek tha Tiger
4. Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana
5. All top grossing movies. Most were masala movies (where you hardly need to think)

Here's hoping 2013 has better movies to offer. Happy New Year everyone. God Bless.

13 comments:

  1. Dude you missed Life of Pie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aliya, great list n I agree with most of ur thoughts.. loved Talaash,OMG n Kahani btw

    the movie tht inspired me most in '12 was GOW 1&2.. as a writer, I loved the characterizations in the movie- the characters of 'Palpandicular', 'Definite', 'Sardar Khan' were simply sooperb.. and the gradual metamorphosis of 'Faijal' frm the carefree younger son to the chilling don was simply remarkable..

    do drop by my blog.. gt a list of bollywood movies for 2013 :)

    Awesome read macha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't watch GOW 1 and 2 da.. Missed out! Will watch it on TV now.. :)

      Delete
  3. Haven't seen Talaash and I didn't like English Vinglish. And Barfi is a fantastic movie, though most of it is copied, still I loved it.

    Wish you loads of happiness and special wishes to the lil angel in your family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Talaash after I came to know the story. I knew what was happening in the movie and the climax too :D But can't help it. Am an Aamir Khan fan :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't watched OMG, but loved all the others you have mentioned. The slapstick comedies and the so called 100 crore movies make me sick. We have got to stop making those. And hey a happy new year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for OMG Jenny.. No regrets at all :) Happy New Year to you too :)

      Delete
  5. saw OMG on new years day and am in middle of english vinglish.. I watch movies in dayssssssssss :) dont get that much time to sit for 3 hours :) again only two movies seen in this list tooo

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe... Another 2 movies from this list too.. That's 50% strike rate for me again :D

      Delete
  6. Here's a strong suggestion to watch "Oh my God"..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really true. All these movies were based on some subject and give message to the society. I have seen all of them. They all really made me think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Glad to know out thoughts match :)

      Delete

All yours..

wibiya widget

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...