Friday, November 09, 2012

Leave me alone. I know what I am doing..

That's typical Kimi Raikkonen for you!

No, I am not being arrogant or showing attitude. The topic is not even what I said. That's what Kimi Raikkonen said. The great Iceman. This happened during the Abu Dhabi GP (Yas Marina) 2012. As it always happens, the race driver is constantly in touch with his assigned race engineer. When Lewis Hamilton retired due to mechanical problem after leading the GP, Kimi Raikkonen suddenly found himself leading the race. He knew this was his chance. The race engineer thought of motivating Raikkonen by providing strategic instructions about who is behind him and by how much. Guess what Kimi Raikkonen said:
"Leave me alone. I know what I am doing!"
Needless to say, the Iceman actually knew what he was doing. And he won the race! Typical Kimi.

Lotus blooms in the desert

Kind courtesy: http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/
Now there are some who'll think that Kimi Raikkonen is arrogant and not a team player. You'd think he's doesn't respect team orders and does what he thinks is right. Let me tell you, you can't be more wrong!

I have followed Kimi Raikkonen since his early F1 days. You may read this post to see how excited I was when I heard he is coming back to Formula 1. The guy is uber cool! Hardly any expressions, very shy and doesn't know how to interact with the media. He is a party person too. Many F1 drivers were happy to see him come back and he brings coolness back to F1 (atleast I think so too). His responses can easily be misunderstood by a new-comer. As a constructor, you give him a car to drive and he will extract the best out of the car. That's a guarantee! Everyone in F1 knows it. When Raikkonen told his race engineer to leave him alone, he actually meant he didn't want any interference from anyone. He knows it's now his race to win and the best opportunity for Lotus GP to snatch a victory this season. It's now up to him to complete what Lotus had dreamt of. And he did it in grand style. Even the Lotus team admitted the guy was full of concentration and they let him have his way. And his way was nothing but victory! He won it for himself, for his team and his fans. I am really happy for the Iceman.

Sometimes you just need to trust the guy to complete the work he is required to do. And guess what, the guy will respond. Definitely, if his name happens to be "Kimi Raikkonen".

19 comments:

  1. haha.. agree. Thats one guy you can usually count on over the years to deliver 'in spite' of the car, rather than depending on the car alone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Doctor! A completely reliable driver 'in spite' of the car..

      Delete
  2. hmmm nice info :D never knew so much, only thing I could say yeaaaaaaaah I know was Yas Marina circuit :D

    Nicely told Binu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramya. Yas Marina circuit is a visual delight!

      Delete
  3. A whole lot of new info there... good piece of info..gr8 read ! I wish more people wrote like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's indeed nice to see Kimi do well after a couple of dismal years in F1 and WRC. He's pleasantly surprised us all.

    Engineers would say they never knew the Kimi Raikkonnen who would turn up on the specific day; his mood swings were that extreme.

    This dialogue of Kimi reminds me of the Ayrton Senna incident, when he was driving very fast while leading, his engineers asked him to slow down and he ended up crashing. Strange are the ways of these super talented drivers.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've hit the spot Vishal. No one knows which Kimi will turn up for the day. Guess even Kimi himself doesn't know the answer!

      Delete
  5. VEry nice post..Raikonnen has always been the "iceman"..could not describe him better! :) I shared your emotions upon his return..though I wished for a better team for him! Nonetheless, he made it work for Lotus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is converting Lotus into a better team! He still has some years left. With Webber due for a change soon (in 2-3 seasons) and Vettel fancying Ferrari and McLaren, Red Bull will fancy Kimi Raikkonen to lead their team. Would be great!

      Delete
  6. I have no idea about F1.. so cant say anything


    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this is seriously seriously not my area. And you know what, you may hate this, but I hate F1. Spening all that fuel on just racing each other. Doesn't make sense to me :-(

    BTW Happy Diwali, and soorrry I have been away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe.. I had the same feeling when I was new to F1. Then slowly realized that F1 is a high cost sport and will remain one. Not everyone will be able to afford it... :)

      Happy Diwali Jenny.

      Delete
  8. Now that sounds like a winner speaking! I dont follow F1 religiously but I have heard of him and the way you have introduced him here, he sure sounds different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was also very happy when I heard that Kimi will be back to F1 again. I started following him when Ferrari were ruling F1 with both Schumacher & Barrichello coming in top 3, don't remember the year though. My intuition just said to me, this person would be my hero in F1. From then on its all Kimi only....:)

    Good to know a little bit about his behaviour & I am also shy, so he & I have something in common. From what he said to his engineer, that shows his confidence...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was early 2000's when Schumacher and Barrichello were ruling the pack and Ferrari was the most competent car. Raikkonen has been a champion, no-nonsense racer and really "knows what he is doing"!

      Delete

All yours..

wibiya widget

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...