Friday, January 01, 2016

Part 2 - Bollywood movies in 2015 that made me think

Part 1 of the series can be found here. Continuing with the top movies in 2015 that made me think -

6. Bajrangi Bhaijaan - 
Notable Bollywood Movies 2015 - Bajrangi Bhaijaan

Second surprise of the year for me. Salman Khan movies are normally all about his charisma, his body, his dance moves and dishoom-dishoom. This movie was a refreshing change and had a good story too. If you are one of those few folks who haven't seen this movie, this is about a Hanuman-bhakt (Salman) who meets a Pakistani girl lost in Indian shores. He helps her find her family in Pakistan by going to Pakistan without a visa. What he encounters and viewing the same in the larger context of India-Pakistan troubles, forms the crux of the story. I seriously don't know why Kareena Kapoor Khan was cast in this movie as her acting talent was rarely utilized. The child actress, Harshaali Malhotra, became an instant favorite amongst movie goers and for all the right reasons. I normally don't say this, but watch this movie for 'bhaijaan'!

7. Drishyam - 
Notable Bollywood Movies 2015 - Drishyam

First of all, I have seen the "original" movie released in Malayalam. That was simply awesome. Till the last scene, most of the audience weren't able to join the loose threads. In that context, Bollywood's Drishyam was a carbon copy of the Malayalam movie and it had to be good as far as story was concerned. The main actor's role is critical to the movie and hence, I had my doubts when it was revealed that Ajay Devgn will reprise Mohanlal's role in the Hindi version. Ajay Devgn's persona and his recent (action) movies make it difficult to believe an out-of-shape police officer hitting a muscular Ajay Devgn and Devgn, on his part, is simply begging for mercy. But I commend the risk Devgn took and am sure it will work wonders when the award season begins. Expect a few "Best Story" awards for Drishyam and maybe a best actor award too.

8. Manjhi - The Mountain Man - 
Notable Bollywood Movies 2015 - Manjhi the mountain man

Nawazuddin Siddiqui all the way. This is his movie. From start. To end. If you want to see genuine acting talent, look no further. The guy may look small for a typical Bollywood actor, but don't be fooled by his physical stature. He is one of the best there is, in the industry. Manjhi further cements his position in the film industry - as one who is full of talent and can play any role with full dignity. The thing about Nawazuddin Siddiqui is that you tend to remember the character he performs and not the actor. That's the quality you need in your stars. And I haven't even started with the story of this movie! This is a must watch, and primarily for the main lead. Hope we get to see such movies in future too.

9. Talvar - 
Notable Bollywood Movies 2015 - Talvar

I had seen the 1st movie made on the Aarushi Talvar case (Rahasya) which was more un-biased. I still wanted to see Talvar, primarily for Irrfan Khan. And I had no regrets. The movie is more or less on the similar lines as Rahasya. The role was tailor-made for Irrfan and he, as always, did a splendid job. In terms of relevance to actual story and keeping a balanced view on an issue that has plagued the nation, Rahasya was better. Talvar seemed to take a sympathetic and biased stand towards one side. However, in terms of acting and story-telling, Talvar was better than Rahasya.

10. Bajirao Mastani - 
Notable Bollywood Movies 2015 - Bajirao Mastani

Third surprise of the year. I am not a fan of Ranveer Singh. I still am not. However, he took this movie to an altogether different level by his acting and intensity. Deepika reprised the role of Mastani and did a good job at it. Priyanka did their part well, although I felt she should have got a meatier role. In a way, her acting talent was somewhat wasted in the movie. Bajirao Mastani is not the best movie of 2015 but it's one of the movies you should watch once. The sets and color combinations had Sanjay Leela Bhansali written all over it and makes it a visual appealing.

If you observe my list carefully, you will realize that 3 of the these movies have Irrfan Khan and Nawazuddin Siddiqui as main / side characters each. You may feel I am being biased towards these actors, but hey, their movies were great too. Let me know if you think otherwise.

Other Notable movies of 2015 that didn't make the cut but still worth a dekko (in the order of their release) - 
1. Rahasya  - similar to Talvar.
2. Shamitabh - watch it for the chemistry between Amitabh Bachchan and Dhanush.
3. Dum Laga Ke Haisha - cute love story and nice acting.
4. Dharam Sankat Mein - another movie on religion by Paresh Rawal. Not as involving as "Ohh My God".
5. Margarita with a Straw - top class acting by Kalki and Revathi, as always. 
6. Baahubali - for the special effects, one of a kind.
7. Masaan - for Sanjay Mishra's acting.

Happy New Year guys. God Bless!

5 comments:

  1. Binu, never even mention Shamitabh in this list...Never! :D 3 hours of my life I am never getting again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe.. Thats why it's not in my top 10 list.. Although the movie wasn't great / good, the chemistry between the two lead actors is what I liked. I know you don't agree with me.. :)

      Delete
  2. Drishiyam was superb..

    Not sure if I will put bajiroa mastani as a top 10 .. and neither was bajrangi bhaijaan.. but then that is my view ...

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both were surprise picks for me. I personally never expected these movies to be good for different reasons.. From that's perspective, I was pleasantly surprised.. But yes, as you said, different people different views:)

      Delete
  3. Agree with u on most of them but maybe Drishyam should have had a higher ranking than Piku..

    ReplyDelete

All yours..

wibiya widget

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...