Monday, June 20, 2011

Upma - The Award-Snatching dish.

Picture this: A Reality show is going on.. Name: Top Chef Masters... Three contestants are remaining.. Its the grand finale... Two of them are firm favorites (Mary Sue Milliken and Traci Des Jardins).. The other one, a guy (Floyd Cardoz), should be proud that he's one of the finalist.. Everything's come down to one last round !!  And one of the theme is to cook a meal of their lifetime inspired by their own stories... And what does Mr. Floyd Cardoz make? Guess.. Guess..
Upma
Upma !! Really?? And did I mention that he won the show?? By making an Upma?? $100,000 by making an Upma?? Awesome !!! Why am I so excited? How does it matter to me? --> It matters to me because the dish we are talking about, was the same dish I used to eat every day for breakfast !! Every single day !! I never knew it was worth $ 100,000..

To those still wondering about Upma - Its a popular South Indian dish. It can be split into uppu (means salt) and maavu (means flour). Now, I am not a cook by any stretch of imagination, but I can tell you that it can be made in any way you like. There is no standard (and worldwide) accepted way of making it, which is what makes it unique. And that is exactly what the Mumbai born chef Floyd Cardoz exploited. He had his own way of making it and he christened it "Upma Polenta" - our Upma's Italian cousin. And by the way, Cardoz has donated the entire amount for Cancer research. Great Gesture, I must admit !!
Link: http://www.oregonlive.com/ The person in the center is Floyd Cardoz
They say we are aping the west, but now they should also say that the west are aping us... Brownie points for India. As far as the show is concerned, it's like Mr. Floyd Cardoz had one upma-nship over the rest of the contestants !!

9 comments:

  1. upma- the first successful dish I cooked after my wedding. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am shocked as well as sad..
    Shocked coz UPMa won! Shocked in a good way u shud knw
    Sad coz i cudnt watch the show since hostel gives u no TV privileges!

    Kudos !

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sushma: And it happens to be my favorite trip.. Kinda proud that its so costly now !! :D

    @Red Handed: Even I was shocked (in a good sense) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh hw surprisin!
    d judges mus hav a grt flair fr international cuisine cos im frm mumbai n lived in chennai fr like 5 yrs nw n i stil dislike it.
    simpl logic. if its upma fr dinner, i go hungry :o

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh no Sadiya.. Don't tell me you don't like it !! Maybe you need a different type of upma (remember there are many ways to make upma).. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing about upma is it can really suck if you don't make it well.
    For good upma, you can go to the adiga's in Bangalore. That's a god upma! But not good enough for 100000 ( Have I put an extra zero there?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sairam, I think it depends on the individuals... I like some types of Upma and I hate some... :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!
    Feel free to visit my webpage :: weslaco homes for sale

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog
    and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your
    blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very
    soon!
    My web blog :: baby cartoons

    ReplyDelete

All yours..

wibiya widget

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...